Consumer Goods and Retail Functional Safety – Automation
Analysis, assessment, training and consultancy to meet the needs of the automation industry.
SGS offers the automation sector a full range of functional safety services in relation to the applicable international standards. These include IEC 61508, ISO 13849, IEC 62061 and EN 61508 and associated certification.
An Accredited and Notified Functional Safety Body
SGS experts are vastly experienced in the automation industry including risk analysis and the necessary risk reduction measures. Our experts understand that a safety integrity level (SIL) measures performance, as required by a safety instrumented function (SIF) or safety instrumented system (SIS).
As an accredited and notified functional safety body, we can provide services ranging from training programs to certifications that cover the full life cycle of a product. These services include:
- Consultancy during the development process
- Performance of hazard analyses and risk assessments
- Qualitative and quantitative analyses
- Calculation of fault rates and system reliability
- Product and safety management assessments
- Evaluation of development tools and generic products and applications
- Verification of development documents
- Acceptance tests at the manufacturer’s site
- Testing and certification of components and systems
- Evaluation of safety-related machine controllers as per ISO 13849, using SISTEMA
- Type examinations
- Testing of electrical safety
- Open and in-house training sessions, plus customer-oriented workshops
- Industrial IT security consultancy, testing and certification
- Service packages for embedded systems
As part of our mission to help shape the regulatory framework for this sector, we are members of the standardization committee for IEC 61508.
Contact SGS today for more information about functional safety for the automation sector.